People who are providing support or care to a vulnerable population are required to ensure that they establish boundaries that prevent the relationship from being personal, unethical or unprofessional. This protects both the staff member and the person receiving the care or support from confusion or being put in the position when more is expected than is appropriate in a professional relationship.
Part of the Altura Learning’s Dynamic Series, Maintaining Professional Roles and Boundaries, takes us through a variety of case studies where staff have to make decisions if they are crossing a professional boundary and how they will manage the situation.
Some useful tips:
- People who are providing support or care to a vulnerable population are required to ensure that they establish boundaries that prevent the relationship from being personal, unethical or unprofessional.
- If a client wanted to give you an expensive gift, do you feel it would cross your professional boundaries? What would you do?
Discusses how to maintain professional relationships and reviews positive examples of maintaining roles and boundaries.
Target Audience: All Home Care Staff.
- Define what a professional relationship is
- Understand the power imbalance in relationships and the benefits of a therapeutic relationship
- Recognise behaviours that lead to professional boundaries being crossed
- Identify effective methods for maintaining boundaries within professional relationships
Course name: Maintaining Professional Roles and Boundaries
Course Code: HC-181123-AU and NZ
Country: Australia and New Zealand
Res\HC: Home Care
Watch the trailer
Want to see more courses?
Discover our full course library and our award winning LMS!