We are all individuals with our own personalities, likes and dislikes, and history. Each person who develops dementia will be affected differently and the behaviours they display will be unique to them.
Hilary Woodhead who is an expert in dementia care, guides us through how to understand a person’s behaviour as an expression of their thoughts, emotions or needs. She explains some of the common behaviours that are exhibited as a result of unmet needs and explains strategies that can assist staff to identify and understand them.
Building on the information in the home care course Dementia: Understanding the Condition, this is a Developing Course on the Altura Learning Pathway so it is perfect for anyone who works in home care and is supporting a person with dementia who wishes to have a more in-depth understanding of behaviours.
Some useful tips:
- Different types of dementia affect different parts of the brain in different ways. It is important to remember that each person’s dementia is unique, and the effects on each person will be different.
- There is no ‘one size fits all’ approach associated with dementia care. Care staff cannot respond effectively to how people communicate their needs, without first seeking to understand the individual involved, and what a particular behaviour may mean.
- Once you’ve met one person with dementia, you’ve met one person with dementia.
Recognise how behaviours related to dementia may arise as a result of unmet needs. Explore how you can help to identify these needs and respond appropriately.
Target Audience: All Home Care Staff.
- Describe why each person with dementia is unique and can be affected differently by dementia
- Recognise common behavioural and psychological symptoms associated with dementia
- Describe how understanding behaviour as a communication of unmet needs can support appropriate responses
- Explore key strategies that can assist staff to understand behaviours and identify unmet needs
Course name: Dementia: Understanding Behaviours
Course Code: HC-181123-UK
Country: United Kingdom
Res\HC: Home Care
Watch the trailer
Find out More
To find out more about this course please contact Altura Learning for assistance.
Want to see more courses?
Discover our full course library and our award wining LMS!