Residential Care 10 Course Bundle
As part of your six month membership with Altura Learning you will also have access to ten specially selected courses. These courses have been chosen to help you with onboarding new starters with minimal stress during these turbulent times.
These courses have been identified as the most useful for onboarding both a new starter, and volunteers with limited to no industry experience.
From learning how to ensure their own safety, to learning how to properly care for others, this course bundle has been designed to give you peace of mind that any new employees or volunteers will be able to support your facility.
Infection Control: An Overview
Discover how infectious agents spread and identify simple precautions that can be taken to reduce the risk of infection
- Describe the different types of infectious agents (micros-organisms) and the harm they can cause
- Explain the risks of infection to older people
- Distinguish the links in the chain of infection and how to break them
- Implement the role of standard precautions in preventing and controlling the spread of infection
Outbreak Management: The Principles
Explain the management of an outbreak including control of infection, communication, documentation and reporting processes.
Define what is meant by an outbreak and the requirement for an outbreak management policy/plan.
Outline the key principles of outbreak management.
Recognise the end of an outbreak and undertake outbreak investigation/root cause analysis.
Assisting a Person to Shower
One of the key roles of care staff is the maintenance of people’s personal hygiene. Through this course you will discover how provide full assistance with showering a person in your care.
- Understand the importance of maintaining personal hygiene
- Assist the person to shower safely whilst maintaining their dignity
- Assess and monitor the person and report any changes in their condition
H&S: Supporting People to Move
Safe manual handling protects both the person being supported and the staff. This course explores various manual handling manoeuvres that are seen in a care and support setting.
- Understand the principles of manual handling and the importance of risk assessment
- Recognise how dignity and independence should be maintained
- Identify different types of manual handling equipment and when each one is required
- Safely supporting a person to move
Wound Care:Skin Tears
Explore why older people are more at risk of skin tears and how to reduce this risk. Learn how to assess and dress a skin tear and how to provide follow-up care.
- Define a skin tear
- Identify why older people are at risk of skin tears
- Outline strategies that can help minimise the risk of skin tears
- Recognise the key steps in the management of a skin tear
Medication Management: A Framework
Familiarise staff with their role in a systematic approach to medication management to ensure the safe use of medications and quality outcomes for the older person.
- Explain medication management and the requirements for staff in Residential Aged Care Facilities.
- Discuss the guiding principles for Medication Management in Residential Aged Care Facilities.
- Explain how to apply principles to safely administer medications.
Dignity & Personalised Care
Discuss the ethos of promoting dignity in care and ensuring the individual’s needs and wishes remain at the centre of care delivery.
- Understand the need to maintain an individual’s dignity in everyday care
- Recognise the role of the individual in planning their care
- Apply practical strategies to promote dignity and deliver personalised care
Restrictive Practices & Restraints
Restrictive practices and the use of restraints can impact a person’s human rights and quality of life, safety and dignity. In this course we explore how to minimise the use of restrictive practices and restraints.
- Identify the types of restrictive practices that have been known to be used in an aged care setting
- Discuss the medical, legal and ethical issues involved in the use of restrictive practices
- Recognise how positive support strategies can be used as an alternative to restraint or restrictive practice
Appropriate hazard identification and risk assessment is essential to maintaining a safe workplace. This course considers the recognition of hazards and outlines practical implications and risk control strategies.
- Describe the legislative requirements for workplace health and safety
- Describe the importance of hazard identification and risk assessment
- Identify some common hazards in the workplace
- Outline how to implement control strategies
Code of Rights
People who use a health or disability service are protected by the Code of Rights. This course explains the Code and outlines the obligations and duties that organisations are required to adhere to.
- Identify the 10 Rights that make up the Code of Rights
- Recognise the role of the organisation in complying with the Code of Rights
FREE COURSE: COVID-19 and Aged Care
COVID-19 is the new coronavirus disease that was first diagnosed in China in December 2019. Since then, an outbreak has occurred that has been declared a pandemic.
This course explains the virus and the symptoms of the disease. It includes an interview with a Microbiologist, who educates in infection control, and will discuss the potential impact to adult social care.
The course also provides practical demonstrations of hand hygiene, application and removal of PPE and practical strategies that can be taken to protect the people in our care.
Ready to Learn?
Inspired learning that improves quality of life
Our purpose is to inspire learners to improve the quality of their life and the lives of others.
We’re passionate about engaging, informing and inspiring learners. By using innovative, blended learning approaches we can better impart knowledge, insight and experience to empower our learners to raise industry standards and ultimately enhance and improve the quality of care they provide.
This limited time offer grants you full access to the Bridge LMS and the ten highly effective training courses from Altura Learning. There’s no implementation fee, so you can simply join and get straight down to the business of learning.