Residential Care 10 Course Bundle
As part of your six month membership with Altura Learning you will also have access to ten specially selected courses. These courses have been chosen to help you train your team with minimal stress during these turbulent times.
These courses have been chosen by our experienced Learning and Development team to ensure your team continue to develop their skills and work to best practice. With the courses selected here, you can be assured that your team will be prepared for all aspects of Residential care, even during the current global pandemic.
Infection Control: An Overview
Discover how infectious agents spread and identify simple precautions that can be taken to reduce the risk of infection.
- Describe the different types of infectious agents (micros-organisms) and the harm they can cause
- Explain the risks of infection to older people
- Distinguish the links in the chain of infection and how to break them
- Implement the role of standard precautions in preventing and controlling the spread of infection
Abuse & Missing Persons: A Overview
Vulnerable people are at risk of being subjected to a range of abuses. In this course you will explore the nature of elder abuse and strategies to prevent, recognise and respond to abuse, including compulsory reporting. Identify the legislation around missing persons and compliance requirements.
- Identify what elder abuse is and how staff can recognise it.
- Discuss staff roles and responsibilities if abuse is suspected.
- Explain compulsory reporting and the requirements for all staff.
- Identify how to respond when a person has gone missing.
Fire Safety: A Practical Approach
This course demonstrates how to reduce risk, deal with fires if appropriate and support an effective evacuation process.
- Identify fire dynamics including the start and spread of fire
- Reduce the risk of a fire occurring
- Minimise the spread of a fire
- Implement an emergency response (R.A.C.E.)
- Recognise the need for an evacuation plan and stages of evacuation
Privacy & Confidentiality
Explain legislative requirements and the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality and principles around information sharing.
- Define privacy and confidentiality and discuss the legislative requirements for Aged Care Facilities
- Explain what information is collected by Aged Care Facilities
- Explain the strategies Aged Care Facilities can implement to protect privacy and confidentiality
- Explain the responsibilities when a breach of privacy or confidentiality has occurred
H&S: Supporting People to Move
Safe manual handling protects both the person being supported and the staff. This course explores various manual handling manoeuvres that are seen in a care and support setting.
- Understand the principles of manual handling and the importance of risk assessment
- Recognise how dignity and independence should be maintained
- Identify different types of manual handling equipment and when each one is required
- Safely supporting a person to move
Restrictive Practices & Restraints
Restrictive practices and the use of restraints can impact a person’s human rights and quality of life, safety and dignity. In this course we explore how to minimise the use of restrictive practices and restraints.
- Identify the types of restrictive practices that have been known to be used in an aged care setting
- Discuss the medical, legal and ethical issues involved in the use of restrictive practices
- Recognise how positive support strategies can be used as an alternative to restraint or restrictive practice
Safe Food Handling in the Home
As a food handler, it is essential that you are aware of the basic principles of safe food handling so that you can ensure that the food you prepare remains safe to eat. Recognise your role and responsibilities in safe food handling.
- Explain why organisations are required to have clear policies and procedures around safe food handling.
- Describe food safety hazards.
- Understand your roles and responsibilities in regards to safe food handling.
Documenting in a Care Environment
Effective documentation is essential in the delivery of quality care and support. We look at the principles of effective documentation and how to apply them.
- Recognise the purpose and legal requirements of accurate documentation
- Identify types of documentation found in the care environment
- Recognise problems caused by poor documentation
- Describe key principles of effective documentation and how to apply them
Confidentiality & Information Handling
All social care services are required to have robust confidentiality and information handling processes. This course explains the importance of maintaining confidentiality and the principles of information handling.
- Define confidentiality and the key principles of effective information handling in relation to legislative requirements
- Recognise the types of confidential information that may be encountered within care organisations
- Explain the strategies and policies care providers should have in place to protect privacy and confidentiality
- Describe potential breaches of confidentiality and outline responsibilities when a breach has occurred
Dementia: Understanding and Responding to BPSD
Explore the reasons why behaviours and psychological symptoms of dementia are often challenging for staff. Develop solutions that will ensure safety for all.
- Identify behaviours that may challenge staff that are commonly associated with dementia
- Explore the reasons for behaviours that may challenge staff
- Implement short term solutions to response to episodes of behaviour that ensure safety for all
Free Course: COVID-19 and Aged Care
This course explains the virus and the symptoms of the disease. It includes an interview with a Microbiologist, who educates in infection control, and will discuss the potential impact to adult social care.
The course also provides practical demonstrations of hand hygiene, application and removal of PPE and practical strategies that can be taken to protect the people in our care.
Ready to Learn?
Inspired learning that improves quality of life
We’re passionate about engaging, informing and inspiring learners. By using innovative, blended learning approaches we can better impart knowledge, insight and experience to empower our learners to raise industry standards and ultimately enhance and improve the quality of care they provide.
This limited time offer grants you full access to the Bridge LMS and the ten highly effective training courses from Altura Learning. There’s no implementation fee, so you can simply join and get straight down to the business of learning.