Home Care 10 Course Bundle
As part of your six month membership with Altura Learning you will also have access to ten specially selected courses. These courses have been chosen to help you with onboarding new starters with minimal stress during these turbulent times.
These courses have been identified as the most useful for onboarding both a new starter, and volunteers with limited to no industry experience.
From learning how to ensure their own safety, to learning how to properly care for others, this course bundle has been designed to give you peace of mind that any new employees or volunteers will be able to support your facility.
Infection Control: An Introduction
Discover how infectious agents spread and identify simple precautions that can be taken to reduce the risk of infection
• Describe the different types of infectious agents (micro-organisms) and the harm they can cause
• Explain why older people are at an increased risk from infections
• Outline considerations when promoting infection control in a home care environment
• Distinguish the links in the chain of infection and identify the role of standard precautions in breaking those links
Lone Working & Personal Safety
Home care staff may encounter a variety of risks to their personal safety in the course of their work, particularly as they often work alone. We explore strategies that staff can employ to help maintain safety and minimise risk.
- Develop awareness of why home care workers may experience risks to their personal safety as a result of lone working
- Identify strategies that can assist with minimising these risks
Assisting a Person to Shower
One of the key roles of care staff is the maintenance of people’s personal hygiene. Through this course you will discover how provide full assistance with showering a person in your care.
- Understand the importance of maintaining personal hygiene
- Assist the person to shower safely whilst maintaining their dignity
- Assess and monitor the person and report any changes in their condition
Recognising & Responding to Abuse
Develops greater awareness of common types of abuse and examines the role of the carer in recognising and reporting the signs of possible abuse.
- Describe types of abuse and how they might occur
- Recognise possible signs of abuse
- Know the actions required if abuse is suspected
- Recognise their role in managing the risk of abuse by promoting a positive culture based on respect and each person’s right to dignity and personal choice
Risk Assessment in the Home
Explain how to identify common hazards and assess and report risks. Employ strategies to minimise risks in a client’s home.
- Recognise the importance of assessing risk when providing care to a client in the home environment.
- Explain how to identify, assess and report common hazards and risks.
- Discuss strategies to minimise risks in a client’s home.
Promoting Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
Living in a diverse society means responding appropriately to those around us. In this course you will learn strategies to challenge discrimination and promote positive, inclusive environments.
- Understand the meaning and importance of equality, diversity and inclusion
- Recognise different forms of discrimination both intentional and unintentional
- Know how to promote a positive and inclusive environment and how to challenge discrimination
H&S:Supporting People to Move
Safe manual handling protects both the person being supported and the staff. This course explores various manual handling manoeuvres that are seen in a care and support setting.
- Understand the principles of manual handling and the importance of risk assessment
- Recognise how dignity and independence should be maintained
- Identify different types of manual handling equipment and when each one is required
- Safely supporting a person to move in a variety of ways
Fire Safety in the Home
Explain the fire risks that may be encountered in a home care setting and describe fire prevention strategies. Know how to respond in a fire emergency.
- Identify fire dynamics including the start and spreading of fire
- Identify the fire risks within the home environment
- Explain fire prevention strategies that can be adopted for the home environment
- Discuss how to respond in a fire emergency
Safe Food Handling in the Home
Appropriate hygiene, safe handling and storage of food can prevent serious health hazards. Learn how to safely prepare and serve food in someone’s home.
- Describe the importance of safe food handling including the legal requirements
- Identify food safety hazards in the home including common high risk foods
- Know your role and responsibilities regarding food safety and how to prepare, store and serve food in a home setting
Confidentiality & Information Handling
All social care services are required to have robust confidentiality and information handling processes. This course explains the importance of maintaining confidentiality and the principles of information handling.
- Define confidentiality and the key principles of effective information handling in relation to legislative requirements
- Recognise the types of confidential information that may be encountered within care organisations
- Explain the strategies and policies care providers should have in place to protect privacy and confidentiality
- Describe potential breaches of confidentiality and outline responsibilities when a breach has occurred
Free Course: COVID-19 and Aged Care
COVID-19 is the new coronavirus disease that was first diagnosed in China in December 2019. Since then, an outbreak has occurred that has been declared a pandemic.
This course explains the virus and the symptoms of the disease. It includes an interview with a Microbiologist, who educates in infection control, and will discuss the potential impact to adult social care.
The course also provides practical demonstrations of hand hygiene, application and removal of PPE and practical strategies that can be taken to protect the people in our care.
Ready to Learn?
Inspired learning that improves quality of life
Our purpose is to inspire learners to improve the quality of their life and the lives of others.
We’re passionate about engaging, informing and inspiring learners. By using innovative, blended learning approaches we can better impart knowledge, insight and experience to empower our learners to raise industry standards and ultimately enhance and improve the quality of care they provide.
This limited time offer grants you full access to the Bridge LMS and the ten highly effective training courses from Altura Learning. There’s no implementation fee, so you can simply join and get straight down to the business of learning.